Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Moving

The count down to another major move has begun officially. This time it is a move to the Philippines. Since it is almost impossible to cope with the variety of emotions that one goes through when relocating I thought it will be good to write a blog. The plan is to continue writing through the relocation process and also once one reaches Manila. I am told repeatedly that life in Manila is good. The expat community is very warm and friendly and I really am looking forward to meeting a whole lot of new friends.


The difficult part is the unraveling of a life built so carefully here in Mumbai. The pattern is familiar. Moving to a new place, feeling overwhelmed at first and then gradually but surely beginning to feel that you too belong, infact you are an insider. Then once the decision to move is taken, the slow and painful acceptance that these once very familiar streets and these good friends are now going to be separated from you by thousands of miles and several time zones.


As I write this I am enjoying the exotic fragrance of champa and mogra arranged in a bowl in my room. I wonder will there be similar flowers in Manila? When you live abroad you miss your home in so many ways big and small, it is impossible to keep count. I guess I should be a veteran at moving after having done it so often; London , New York , Tokyo and back to Mumbai, now to Manila. Don’t be surprised, my fellow trailing spouses have moved a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment